I'd recommend doing this to any serious athlete. It was extremely informative. Here are the tests they ran:
- Blood Pressure, Health Risk Appraisals
- BODY AGE
- BC: BodPod, BIA
- Body Gem RMR
- FUEL test (Exercise Metabolic rate analysis)
- CV: VO2max test (run or cycle)
- MSEF: TriFit
I learned so much about the current state of my fitness doing these tests. First the good news:
- My VO2max on the bike is about 65ml/kg/min, which is awesome!
- On the bike it looks like my FTP is around 240 Watts, which is also higher than expected.
- My body fat was measured at 8.1%, putting me in the category of "very lean" which is recommended for athletes...so, I'm done loosing weight!!!!!!!!!
- My RMR is only 1790 KCals. According to Harris-Benedict it should be 1855. So, I burn about 65 calories less than estimated just sitting around. Bleh, but at least I know.
- I have serious problems with muscular endurance. When I topped out on the bike my leg muscles gave out while my heart was only 155 BPM. I need to build some muscular endurance. This is exactly the news I received from Ryan, who is helping me on my run.
- I need to eat more. No more caloric deficits, the name of the game is now adequate fueling. I'm reading "Sports Nutrition for Endurance Athletes
" to help optimize that.
- I need to work on muscular endurance and anarobic strength, especially in regards to my hamstrings and quads, which are both weaker than they need to be. I think the ways to do that at this point include:
- More rides in power zone 3
- Big gear intervals once a week
- Hill Sprints on the run, lots of hill sprints
- Kettlebell lunges as sport specific weight training
I'm so grateful Laura and her awesome crew at ISU. I feel much better equipped to start the season correctly and optimize my training time investment. If you're an endurance athlete in central Illinois, you should do this!